A fascinating role at the center of a product innovation network that incorporates multiple disciplines
AkzoNobel is a global leader in the area of Decorative Paints and Coatings. This success is based on the highest levels of research and innovation. Central to this capability is our Europe & Africa (E&A) Product Development Center (PDC) in Sassenheim, the Netherlands, which constantly seeks to improve the performance of our products and the reputation of our brands.
Within this context, your mission in this role to play a central and networked role in short-term (one to three years) projects for our Woodcare portfolio, which includes well-known brands such as Sikkens, Pinotex, Cuprinol, Xyladecor, Ceta Bever, and Glitsa. In particular, drawing on all the resources of an expert and international R&D environment, you work on new product launches, collaborating closely with Marketing, Production and Technical Support. Our woodcare products are mainly used to decorate and protect wood used on housing (cladding, doors and window frames), in gardens (fences, decks) and in the house (floors, furniture).
Is this a challenge that matches your profile as an enthusiastic and positive researcher who can take the initiative, set-up projects and get things done? Do you enjoy the process of collaborative research that leads to meaningful results? Can you bring a sharp and creative approach that will help us to maintain the leading position of our Woodcare products? Above all, are you eager to learn, grow and make a difference within our dynamic, multinational and multicultural business environment?
If you offer all this and more we invite you to apply for the role of
The role and its responsibilities
This fulltime role is based at our major site in Sassenheim, the Netherlands. Your core purpose is to design, execute and analyze your own experimental work in the laboratory environment, focused on the development of new, innovative products and the improvement of existing products as defined in the project plan.
This requires you to spend significant time in the laboratory as you:
- Discuss project needs, set up, plan and execute experiments to develop new products and improve/adapt existing formulation;
- Analyze, interpret and report results, present data and outcome;
- Test new and replace existing raw materials, solving issues and guiding trial batches of new recipes;
- Collaborate with the other R&D groups and give guidance to assistant specialists, starters and trainees within defined (sub) projects.
A core focus is to build and maintain strong relationships with Local Technical Support, Marketing Support Units and Manufacturing Unit teams in Europe and Africa. This is for the purposes of complaint solving, color development, modifying existing formulations according to latest (local) regulations, and ensuring product stewardship guidelines.
At all times you work safely and observe good laboratory practice and safety standards.
To apply for this position you must possess the following attributes:
- Master’s Degree in Chemistry/Chemical Technology or a Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry/Chemical Technology with approximately five years of relevant experience;
- Knowledge of coatings technology is an advantage;
- Able to work as a team player and support others in the laboratory;
- Broad computer skills and the affinity to quickly learn and master internally used software packages;
- Fully compliant at all times with all safety, health and environmental guidelines, according to site and company standards;
- Good communication and reporting skills including a good level of written and spoken English.
We welcome your online application via our website www.akzonobel.com/careers, reference 190000FP or via the applyform. Please note that applications sent by mail will not be considered. If you have any question, please feel free to contact Denise de Bock, Talent Resourcing Partner, phone +31 (0)88 0106789, option 2.An employment screening will be part of the selection process.
Agency or sales calls are not appreciated
AkzoNobel has a passion for paint. We’re experts in the proud craft of making paints and coatings, setting the standard in color and protection since 1792. Our world class portfolio of brands – including Dulux, International, Sikkens and Interpon – is trusted by customers around the globe. Headquartered in the Netherlands, we are active in over 150 countries and employ around 34,500 talented people who are passionate about delivering the high-performance products and services our customers expect. For more information please visit www.akzonobel.com.