The ERIBA is a research institute at the University Medical Center Groningen (UMCG). The central theme at the ERIBA is the molecular mechanism of (cellular) ageing. We aim to identify physiological and molecular changes that can explain the loss of cells and functional decline of cells and tissues with age. For this, we make use of state-of-the-art technology and a variety of model organisms. The ERIBA is part of the central UMCG campus in central Groningen, a small (200,000 inhabitants) but vibrant city (with over 25,000 students) in the north of the Netherlands.
In the lab of Prof Peter Lansdorp (Genetic Instability and Ageing) we are currently looking for a
RESEARCHER / TECHNICIAN
- 1,0 fte
- Work location: Groningen
- Apply no later than 15 December 2019
The Lansdorp group’s main research interests include stem cell biology, telomere biology and understanding genotype-phenotype relations in ageing and cancer. For these studies we have developed novel techniques including single cell DNA (strand) sequencing that allow accurate identification of numerical chromosomal abnormalities, generation of haplotypes along entire chromosomes and mapping of polymorphic inversions. We are specifically interested to study the role of genetic instability and chromosomal abnormalities in cells in relation to normal human ageing and specific diseases. Finally, the focus of our lab has mostly been on method development, which we will continue in close collaboration with the UMCG Research Sequencing Facility which is part of the ERIBA Technology Center, that furthermore encompasses the iPSC/CRISPR Center.
As a technician in the Lansdorp group, you will have to following responsibilities:
- Assist with the development of novel Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) methods and troubleshoot established methods if needed
- Manual and automated sample preparation for various applications
- Sorting of single cells by flow cytometry
- Performing weekly assigned lab jobs e.g. maintaining inventory, equipment maintenance, data entry, etc
- Diligently and accurately keeping records and reporting results to team leads, supervisors, as necessary
- Contributing to writing, amending, and reviewing SOPs, lab worksheets and validation reports
What do we need
The position requires the knowledge and skills normally acquired through completion of a BSc, MSc or PhD in Life Sciences (Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics) or related field with up to one year of relevant experience. The technician will be part of a young and enthusiastic group that works closely with the teams at the ERIBA Technology Center. We are looking for someone who meets the following criteria:
- Experience in a wide variety of state-of-the-art molecular biology techniques
- Experience with NGS desirable, but not mandatory
- Experience with single cell sequencing platforms is a big plus
- Familiar with (automatic) lab registration and office applications
- An accurate, enthusiastic team player who is not afraid to troubleshoot and doesn’t mind carrying out routine tasks
- A flexible attitude
- The UMCG has a preventive Hepatitis B policy. The UMCG can provide you with the vaccination, should it be required for your position.
- In case of specific professions a ‘Certificate of Good Conduct’ is required.
What do we offer
- The employment basis is a temporary contract for one year with a possible extension.
- Your salary will be a maximum of €2,892 gross per month (scale 6), depending on your qualifications and relevant experience, based on a full-time appointment.
- In addition, the UMCG will offer you 8% holiday pay, and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- The conditions of employment comply with the Collective Labour Agreement for Medical Centres (CAO-UMC). English: http://www.nfu.nl/english/about-the-nfu/
For more information contact: Diana Spierings, Research Associate, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (do not use for applications)
Applying for a job
Please use the digital application form at the bottom of this page – only these will be processed.
You can apply until 15 december 2019.
Within half an hour after sending the digital application form you will receive an email- confirmation with further information.
Keywords: Vacancy, Researcher, Life Sciences, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Laboratoriumonderzoek, Laboratoriumtechniek, Master, PhD, Groningen.