The Westerdijk Fungal Biodiversity Institute (WES) is an independent research institute of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW), situated on the campus of the largest university in the Netherlands in Utrecht. The Westerdijk Institute studies fungal biodiversity in the widest sense, focusing on three priority areas, agriculture, human health, and industry (indoor air and food). The institute maintains a large genetic resource of fungi and yeasts, which is exploited by seven research groups: Fungal Natural Products (Jérôme Collemare), Fungal Physiology (Ronald de Vries), Evolutionary Phytopathology (Pedro Crous), Applied and Industrial Mycology (Jos Houbraken), Medical Mycology (Ferry Hagen), Collection (Gerard Verkleij), Yeast and Basidiomycete Research (Teun Boekhout) and Database and Software Development (Vincent Robert). Additional information is available on our website: www.westerdijkinstitute.nl.
The Westerdijk Fungal Biodiversity Institute invites applications for
POSTDOC IN ANTIFUNGAL DRUG DISCOVERY
- full time (1.0 fte 38 hours)
- Duration: Initially one year with a potential extension
- Location: Utrecht Science Park, de Uithof, The Netherlands
Description of the function
A postdoc position is available in the Fungal Natural Products group. The successful applicant will focus on the exploitation of the results of a screening for antifungal compounds in order to select and characterize lead compounds.
Specifically, the project involves:
- Analyse the results of a screening for antifungal compounds
- Purify active compounds and characterize their biological activities and toxicity
- Determine the chemical structure of active compounds
- This project aims at characterizing novel antifungal compounds and contributes to solving the increasing problem of multi-drug resistant pathogenic fungi. The postdoc will work in close collaboration with a technician from the Collemare group. The project will involve collaborations within the WI, and with the Hubrecht Institute, Utrecht University and University Medical Centre of Utrecht.
We are looking for candidates with:
- PhD in organic chemistry or in biology with experience in chemistry methods
- Excellent communication skills in English, both oral and written
- Team player attitude
- Experience with HPLC-MS, HRMS and NMR is required.
- Experience with microbiology, especially with fungi, is appreciated
- The position can start as soon as December 1st, 2019
Please send your application including curriculum vitae, motivation letter and contact details of at least three references by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating vacancy WES-2019-02 in the subject line, before September 30th, 2019.
Any acquisition further to this advertisement will not be appreciated.
Keywords: Vacancy, Research, PhD, Organic chemistry, Biology, Utrecht