PhD POSITION IN NANOTOXICOLOGY
The National Institute for Public Health and the Environment
- Location: Bilthoven
- Temporary for 48 months
- 36 hours a week
- Apply before: February 24th
Nanomaterials have unique characteristics related to their small size and are therefore applied in many different products ranging from solar cells to food. SAbyNA aims to support the development of nano-enabled products (NEP) that are safe-by-design. This requires a good understanding of the potential health and environmental risks along the life cycle of a product. Research efforts in the field of nanotoxicology have been focusing on testing ‘pristine’ or ‘bare’ nanomaterials, information on NEP and on transformations of nanomaterials along the life cycle is lacking.
The PhD project will focus on the development of hazard strategies for nanomaterials and NEPs throughout the life cycle. This includes optimization of in vitro methods to predict health effects of nanomaterials and NEP. The hazard strategies will be used at early stages of product development for the purpose of developing NEPs that are safe by design. The hazard strategy will be demonstrated using two case studies: 3D printing and paints.
Within SAbyNA, there is a close collaboration between 17 partners from government, research institutes and industry from Spain, United Kingdom, Italy, Finland, France, Sweden, United States and the Netherlands.
We are looking for a motivated researcher with the following requirements:
- A Master’s degree in Toxicology or a related field
- Affinity with nanotechnology and nanomaterials
- Laboratory skills: experience in cell culturing
- Analytical skills: data integration and analysis, statistical analysis
- Communication skills: SAbyNA is a multidisciplinary project with many different partners, we are looking for a team player
- Planning skills: the project requires the ability to work independently
- High quality English
- The salary corresponds to the OIO salary scale according to the working conditions.
You will be employed on the basis of a 36-hour week. The appointment is temporary for the duration of 4 years. Your salary (per 1-1-2020): € 2.605,10 gross per month (based on 36 hours a week) in the first year, ascending to € 2.937,51 gross per month in the fourth year.
- In addition the RIVM has many attractive employee-conditions, such as personal development, study facilities, an individual employee conditions choice system (IKB).
Please use the digital applicationform with the below link. The government attaches value to a diverse and inclusive organization. Working in diverse teams makes us more effective, innovative and the work more enjoyable. Everyone is therefore invited to apply.
Please address your application to Janine Ezendam, Department head VTS.
Keywords: Vacancy, Research, Master, WO, Nanotechnology, Laboratory research, Bilthoven, Utrecht.